Looking for some delicious comfort food? Look no further. Serve with salad and crusty bread for a complete meal.
- 1-1/2 sweet potato, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, minced
- 1 chipotle pepper with seeds, minced
- 1 12 oz, package of Redondo’s hot portuguese brand sausage (or any sausage you prefer really), sliced into 1/4″ rounds
- 2 ears of corn, kernels removed (about 1-1/2 C.)
- 6-8 C. chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. adobo sauce (from chipotle peppers)
- 3/4 C. heavy cream
- 1 tsp, each: pepper, cumin, smoked paprika, salt, and ground coriander
- 1 C. spinach, torn into pieces
Start by melting the butter in a soup pot and adding the onions, ginger, and garlic. Sprinkle about 1 tsp. salt over them and cook over medium low heat until caramelized, about 40 min.
Add the bell pepper and carrots, cooking until soft, about 20 minutes.
While that is cooking, in a separate pan brown your sausage on both sides. Remove to drain on paper towels and chop when cool enough to handle.
Add all the rest of the ingredients, except cream and spinach, to the pot and bring to a boil. Simmer over medium heat until the potatoes are soft. mash roughly with a fork, add cream and simmer an additional minute or two letting the spinach wilt.